The refurbished and expanded laboratories of the institute include the following:
- Wood anatomy laboratory
- General material testing laboratory
- Wood physics laboratory
- Material testing laboratory
- Special material testing laboratory
- Béla Gyarmati wood preservation laboratory
The key research areas of the institute are, as follows:
- Wood anatomy: uncovering and analyzing the anatomical properties of wood and wood species, species identification, quantitative, qualitative and micro-analytical testing of wood and other industrial materials.
- Modification: wood modification, wood thermal property determination, calorific value determination
- Wood physics: the assessment of wood and wood based material properties, wood-water relationships, sorption characteristics testing, fluid and gas permeability testing, optical characteristics determination, climate exposure testing, wood and wood based material aging, delamination and glueline-strength testing of glued-laminated materials.
- Mechanical characteristics: static (tension, compression, sheer, torsion and bending) strength testing, and dynamic mechanical characteristic determination of wood, metal and plastics, elastic property determination, hardness testing, glued-laminated wood product testing, glueline strength determination.
- Wood preservation: examining the fungal resistance of natural and preservative-treated wood, wood preservative effectiveness assessment, testing the effect of various treatment methods and other factors on the absorbed quantity and penetration of wood preservatives.
In education, the institute’s laboratories are used for lab sessions, student science projects, individual lab projects, thesis projects, PhD research. The most important areas of education include forest and wood management, wood anatomy, wood physics, wood utilisation, wood protection, wood modification, tropical wood species, wood science, wood material science, technical education.
Key laboratory equipment:
Fluorescent research light microscope, stereo microscope, image analysis system, S3400-N Hitachi scanning electron microscope + EDX, drying chambers, heat treatment equipment, climate chambers, aging equipment, autoclave, hot air purifier, heating and cooling incubator, biological thermostat, microbiology safety chamber, moisture meters, liquid and gas permeability tester, universal material testers (10 kN Tinius-Olsen, 25 kN Tinius-Olsen, 100 kN FPZ 100, 300 kN Instron), servo-hydraulic material testing equipment for dynamic testing (100 kN Instron), Charpy-type impact tester (100 J), instrumented droptower impact system (400 J), Colour tester, Bomb colorimeter